In 1959 several cemeterians met in Lexington, Kentucky to discuss the possibility of forming the Kentucky Cemetery Association. The number of Kentucky cemeteries were increasing and all of those present recognized the need for an association. The charter of the Kentucky Cemetery Association, Inc. was filed with the secretary of state in Frankfort in early 1960 and the Kentucky Cemetery Association was born. All cemeteries within the commonwealth of Kentucky were invited to participate and become members of the association, which is composed of non-profits, memorial parks, religious and municipal cemeteries. In June of 1998 the association adopted new by-laws which allowed for allied industry participation, thus permitting funeral directors, vault dealers, and florists to become voting members of the KCA.
The goals of the association were in the beginning and continuing today to provide education and information to assist cemeterians in the areas of regulations, record keeping, better maintenance, administration, ethical practices, development, and perpetual care fund laws.
There have been many dedicated and responsible men and women who have served our association from its beginning to present day as board members and officers.
The past presidents of the Kentucky Cemetery Association are: